When Stevens Met Dalloway

My life is now drastically different without my serving of Lord Darlington. Miss Kenton in her last letter believes it would be a nice change for me. She thinks I have spent too much of my life in the same place and need to see more of this world.  I must say my dismissal from Darlington Hall is not one that I expected. After all, I just did as Lord Darlington asked of me. It appears the lengths I went to to achieve the explanation of life as a married man were unwanted.  However, it seems that I could not have given Lord Darlington what he asked. I do not know the married life myself.  To this day I still think of my dismissal. I am now on my way to my new place of business. My life as a butler continues on.  Lord Darlington in my dismissal spared me some. He is sending me to a well-off man. Political I believe and of high stature in his town.  I have now been employed by a man and lady by the name of Dalloway.  They live in London, Westminster particularly.  I know very little of these people; and what they would have me do; I am not even sure of the estate I will be serving.  To forget my life at Darlington Hall is to lose myself and the life I have made for myself.  And dear Miss Kenton. What an astounding housekeeper she was. At her request, I will continue to write her about my new life. What a wonderful woman. Gone now I suppose. My journey to my new life should not be long however, I am seeing the landscape, nature, and the world in a light I have not quite seen before. Everything looks simply different. I am not quite sure if this is a good thing or not.  Westminister, what a bustling town. Not quite the pace I am accustomed to.  I arrived at the Dalloway estate to find no one was there, which was quite awkward if I do say so myself.  “Why hello there”.  A sudden voice. I turned to find a bird-like woman carrying flowers. “May I help you?” “Yes perhaps. I am looking for a Mr. Dalloway”.  As this woman opened the door to the estate, I saw a flash of my new life right before me. This woman, made her way gracefully about the house as if it were hers. “Excuse me miss, are you the housekeeper here? I really must speak to Mr. Dalloway.”  “Why sir I am no housekeeper. Do I look as though I might be one? I assure you you are speaking to Mrs. Dalloway.” “My deepest apologizes ma’am. In no way did I mean to be offensive. I am Mr. Stevens,  your new butler.”. What an astonishing woman. She asserts so much power as if she were Mr. Dalloway himself. How interesting it is to see this way of life so different from what I know at Darlington Hall. Miss Kenton would enjoy the company of this woman. “Yes, of course, Mr. Stevens.  Well then Mr. Stevens, I am hosting a party this evening and there is much to do. Mr. Dalloway will most likely not be around so I will instruct you on what needs to be done for my party. Oh and if you come by a man by the name Peter Walsh, inform him that his presence at this party is of utmost importance.  Now, Lucy will point you in the direction of where everything is. I am sure with your experience of butlering you’ll be just fine. Move quickly there’s much to be done.” Now feeling more myself, I indulged in my new butler duties. Going every which way I began to become blurry in my vision of what was going on this evening. Who was to attend this party? Are these people of importance? What discussion will take place? Yes, it was all very confusing, unlike the affairs of Lord Darlington.  Butlering is never something I have not been good at. Now having learned the layout of the estate through party preparations, the house is most magnificently prepared for this evening. Just in the nick of time too, as people were starting to arrive. I take it as though most of these men and women have not experienced a butler. The confusion on some of the faces was quite a change for me.  Suddenly, I hear the name Peter Walsh and as I turn I see an ordinary-looking man. His gaze, however, one I have never worn myself, one of a man in love. How Miss Kenton would like him. It’s as if he has seen a vision of utmost beauty just behind me. Now just like Mr. Walsh, my gaze is also transfixed on Mrs. Dalloway as she galavants around her party, however, I could never look at a woman with such love. Perhaps butlering this estate will teach me a thing or two about myself. Ah, Lord Darlington never fails.

A letter for Mr. Stevens, unsent by Miss Kenton

Dear Mr. Stevens,

I hope you are doing well at your new estate. All is well here at Darlington, although not the same without you. I do hope you like the Dalloways. I must confess,  I told Lord Darlington about them for you. My hope, Mr. Stevens, is that your heart would be softened by the shallowness of Clarissa Dalloway. That you might see the love that you both lack and unbeknownst to her you would learn to love. That is my great hope for you, Mr. Stevens.  I do miss you terribly. Stay well.

Miss Kenton

One thought on “When Stevens Met Dalloway”

1. You have cast Stevens perfectly here! Even so, do you think he would have had deeper insights into the party? After all, the PM is there, and all of London society. Given his experience with the ignoble intentions of Darlington, would he have been at least a little jaded at the conversations and pomp of these guests? Would he have had time to reflect on the false pretenses? You mention Peter…I think he would have been, with Sally perhaps, the one person who might have spoken to him, yes? What would they have said?