The Morning of The Great Debate

Students, I have once again encountered the presence of greatness this morning. While I was preparing for a nice calming lavender tea at the lovely 5th View restaurant in Waterstones Piccadilly, not one but three literary masterminds walked in. I got the privilege of hearing their riveting debate on the purpose of fiction in the modern world, leading to another discussion on the proper way to tell a story. Swiftly, I gathered my black ink pen and a napkin to transcribe the greatness that was being spoken. As the aspiring students you are, I have chosen to share this riveting conversation with you below. I refrained from entering, quite a few times, but I have included my ideas and thoughts throughout the transcript. What A Lark! What A Plunge! Now to enter the minds of these criminally good authors:

April 2nd,

Ishiguro: Well, thank you for joining me this afternoon.

Joyce: Oh. Yes, Yes. It is but a pleasure to be here.

Woolfe: For some can say, I am well assembled.
(The three burst out laughing.)

*My inner voice: Who knew Woolfe had a sense of humor? I wanted to introduce myself but refrained. I have not assembled myself today!

Ishiguro: Very good Virginia! I wanted to start by saying I have read multiple of your books and thoroughly enjoyed the depth and heart of each character. One of which stuck out to me, Mrs. Dalloway. There was a depth and unknown that cast a shadow throughout the novel. Very Well, I might say. Oh! Mr. Joyce the same goes for you. Your work Dubliners completely blew me out of the water.

Woolfe: My Oh My, well I pulled on aspects of my personal life for that one, which is why there is such depth!

Ishiguro: All great authors pull from aspects within, so no shame from me!

Joyce: Since you have read my work, let me preface by saying that Dubliners, in its entirety, is a remark on the “modern day” Irish culture. I pulled from the depths of my culture rather than one’s interior monologue.

Woolfe: Oh what great treasure! Speaking of interior monologue, Mr. Ishiguro, I read your work Remains Of The Day, and I must say the incorporation of Stevens interior monologue made it a very read story.

Ishiguro: Ah Yes! That reminds me why I have asked you both to join me here today. As you know, I am working on the incorporation of a multi-literary analysis on the great authors of the times. My grandchildren have joined a fond educational program: The International Baccalaureate, in which they are tasked with defining the purpose of fiction in the modern world. By asking you to join me, I am asking you to share your thoughts on how you define this idea. I have given them some of my insight, but Oh No, Grandfather does not know anything. Woolfe, I would be delighted to hear your thoughts.

*My inner voice: Of course his grandchildren are IB Students! Woolfe started to gain thought in her mind, it was very evident that greatness was about to be released on us. I once again refrained from entering the conversation.

Woolfe: Personally, I think the purpose of fiction in the modern world is to provide thought and insight about the inner workings of the world itself. Not everything is perfect. Not everything is assembled. You have to use what you are handed in life and make the best or worst out of it. For example, in your novel, Stevens struggles with his decision to put work above everything else. He misses out on love. He misses out on life in its entirety. People in the modern world are quick to succumb to the idea that only work gets you the places you desire to be.

Joyce: I would have to agree with Ms. Woolfe here. To expand, I would add the purpose of fiction is to tell a story while adding meaning behind. Referencing your book, once again, Stevens loses the one person who would ever fall in love with him. You wrote, “Of course, if two members of staff happen to fall in love and decide to marry, it would be churlish to be apportioning blame; but what I find a major irritation are those persons – and housekeepers are particularly guilty here – who have no genuine commitment to the profession and who are essentially going from post to post looking for romance.” It is in this instance that we realize Stevens is in the act of falling for Ms. Kenton, but he suppressed those emotions because of his profession. Ishiguro, you created a fictional story, yes, but you added meaning behind it. Very similar to the work Araby I wrote in Dubliners. A young man becomes infatuated with the idea of romance that he loses sight of all reality. The fiction side of the story only added depth to the true meaning of this ideal romance.

Ishiguro: Very interesting! As writers, we subconsciously connect the meaning of reality to fiction. Virginia, the meaning of Mrs. Dalloway marrying Richard while having feelings for Peter Walsh connects to the idea of the modern women marrying the safer choice rather than the choice of love.

Woolfe: Choice of love, or an understanding of using marriage as a ploy for the public… Either way, very well connected!

Ishiguro: Oh Oh! One last question, how do you go about telling a proper story? Personally, I believe it is through the use of symbolism and deeper meanings. Since we were all fond of Remains of the Day, I will use that as an example. A symbol I pulled throughout the novel was this idea of banter in connection to Steven’s anxiety. The man was incapable of holding or maintaining any kind of banter. He has to study the idea of banter in order to feel like he has successfully served Mr. Lewis. This showcases work consuming your entire life, leading you to be nothing more than a wheel in the machine. Steven’s ultimately becomes nothing more than his profession. A cold and emotionless man. That was the easiest way for me to share the meaning of the novel, while keeping the readers entertained.

*My inner voice: So, I guess it is settled. Stevens is a wheel and not a ladder. Interesting!

Woolfe: I would say it is exactly that. You incorporate the “boring” literary techniques while adding depth to the story. Those who read us want more than a story. They want life, experience, and reason all encompassed in 200 pages. We must provide that for readers and intellects.

Joyce: Yes! That is it. Depth. Reason. Life. Entertainment. Telling a proper story starts by looking within oneself and pulling from that to draft something real, not fake.

Woolfe: Ah yes! No pish-posh. All real.

Ishiguro: Well, I will be sure to report back to my grandchildren all of what we have discussed. They are sure to be blown away. Now, it is time to enjoy our tea.

Woolfe: As we must!

Joyce: Well, I have one question for you…its about the British Culture in comparison to the Irish Culture…You know….

Yes, Yes, Joyce must blabber on about England and Ireland, which is where I stopped transcribing and admired the three. It has truly been a fantastic day. I got to witness a great conversation about literature while simultaneously transcribing every word to report back to the distinguished IB intellects (as Woolfe would call you). Now, it is time to enjoy some light reading for the remainder of my trip filled with depth, life, and understanding. The remains of the day are catching up ever so quickly.
Enjoy!
Mr. Nigro

One thought on “The Morning of The Great Debate”