(Note: this post was updated on August 13, 2020.)
Take a moment and cruise around the Cabin. Here are the works we’ll be studying this year:
- The Hebrew Bible: Genesis (Summer Reading!)
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road
- Herman Melville, Moby Dick (abridged)
- Marjane Satrapi, Persepolis (Graphic Novel)
- Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway
- Kazuo Ishiguro, The Remains of the Day
- Ian McEwan, Atonement *
- Selected Poetry (in between units)
We’ll do some blogging, some writing, some creative stuff, etc., along the way. Should be fun!
* Please take a look at the Course Map showing the agenda based on the C/A/B Schedule, as best as I can figure it. We need to cover 13 “works” to meet the IB requirement for HL; last year we did seven so this year we only need six. The IB has decided to go ahead with the May 2021 exams as planned, and we will have completed our six works by early May. Our final unit will be Atonement, scheduled for end May/early June, with the NHS exam based on it. This will give us something to do until we get out of school.
There will be two big IB assessments this year (not including the HL Essay that you will polish up for sending in March): The Individual Oral, and the Paper 1 Exam (see the “Assessments” page); note that the IB has eliminated the Paper 2 exam this year. On Mondays (C Days) when we meet, we’ll schedule conferences on your HL Papers, hold the IA’s, and catch up on studies.
The NHS final exam will be a “Paper 2 style” writing test for 20% of the course grade.
(Note to Diploma students: the tentative plan is to meet during 3rd Block once/week. During this time we’ll schedule the TOK presentations, work on the TOK Essays, and the Extended Essays, all of which will be sent in to the IB in mid-March. As of right now, all work for the Core is required, as usual.)
It should work 🤞 !
This will be a challenging year, but y’all are an AWESOME class, and I’m expecting great things!