God is a communist.

Note to readers: This is a Marv post – redux, published by me for your edification. I don’t know if God is a communist, but he is definitely a bald man with a beard 😂) – Mr. N

God, Karl Marx- what’s the difference, really? I’m here to be an annoying, filthy little commie as usual, but I also have some deeper thoughts to express.

I really connected with Marji’s depiction of her relationship with God in Persepolis. Not necessarily with the physical depiction of God, although the resemblance to Karl Marx was hilarious, as I don’t really have a picture of what God looks like in my head. My former relationship with God resembles exactly that of Marji’s- I talked to God like they were my best friend. I prayed, but more often you would find me fully doing mundane tasks as I mentally conversed with God. This was my relationship with God when I was a Christian, although the ‘category’ of religion that I fell under didn’t matter to me at all.

My relationship with God is broken, and I haven’t uttered much of anything to God in years, unless you count short prayers for my friends. I felt connected to Marji in her childhood fury at God. Human atrocities hurt Marji’s religious relationship. Similarly, I blamed God for not loving me because of the perspective of other hateful people- AKA human atrocities.

A quick break for a brief apology: this blog post is becoming more of a rant about my own issues than I intended it to. Oops.

I think I love Persepolis so much because I see myself in Marji- and rather than hating her, as I do myself, I love her. I have compassion for her. I see that it was not her fault.

I also love this book because Marji’s depiction and relationship with God eased something deep down for me. Seeing her and the Karl Marx resembling God healed something for me. It reminded me of who God truly is- not the hateful, damning force that people paint them to be.  Also- God is just. A communist. God is our OG comrade. Marx’s manifesto says, in general, everything that God stands for.

Unfortunately, I most often still think that God hates me.