Marjane Satrapi deserves a Nobel Prize

Persepolis is a story that was ahead of its time. While this story was published in the year 2000, the ideas are extremely relevant in today’s world. 

Prior to Iran’s overtaken of darkness, Marji was extremely prideful and loving of her country, its religion, its history, and its heroes. There are certain characteristics and attributes that make a hero in Marji’s mind. Prior to the revolution and the war, Marji’s main hero was God. When she is in a position where she was scared and needed help, she turned to God. There is a frame in the first chapter titled “The Veil,” in which God is fully wrapping Marjane in his arms and comforting her. However, in this frame, Marji looks questionable of the comfort that God is able to provide her. Throughout this entire time when Marji is in a relationship with God, there is no moment in which she seems truly dedicated to it. Although she claims that she wants to be a prophet, there are still people who she can’t outwardly express that. This depicts the inconsistency in her relationship with God.

Marji was aware of the tragedy going on in her country, however, she did not truly let go of her relationship with God until Anoosh was executed. Because of this, she swears off her relationship with God for good. Anoosh was her hero in many ways. He was a true prisoner and suffered real instances because of the war. This fascinated Marjane tremendously, therefore when he died her relationship with God died as well.

God was no longer her hero, it became Anoosh.

I often wonder what Marjane Satrapi would be like if her parents had sent her to the United States. Although we know she had a more Westernized ideology of things from her Kim Wilde obsession, Michael Jackson pin, or jean jacket, how would these things have changed had she moved to the United States and not Austria? Would she have still found them interesting if it was so easily accessible? Was it only intriguing due to the scarcity and danger that it potentially brought? Satrapi was very clearly modernized and against the government, so were these items in defiance of that or were they truly of interest to her?

This book ultimately changed my outlook on so many things. Things that I took for granted in my life that many people, especially young girls, do not get to experience freely. Every wall in my room is covered with a poster, a vinyl hanging up, a magazine, books, any type of clothing that I please. These are things that we wouldn’t think twice about. Yet Marjane and her family feared for their life due to these simple belongings. 

Marjane’s explanation of her life brings an overwhelming sense to the reader of sympathy, understanding, and interest in how two people of the same age can live extremely different lives due to geographical and political stances. Something that every human must live with due to the government of their country and who they get in relations with. It’s heartbreaking but true. 

One thought on “Marjane Satrapi deserves a Nobel Prize”

1. One of the points you make here is very provocative–what if MS had gone to the US? I think it is interesting that, despite her early infatuation with American culture she ultimately settles in Europe instead. as an adult. I am speculating, but I wonder if the crass materialism that dominates American life might disturb her, maybe the religious extremism, too. It’s a good question–you should seek her out and ask her!